Now a permanent fixture on Scandal, which she started on as an extra, Masasa Mbangeni still has moments of disbelief that the icons she grew up watching on televisions are now her colleagues.
Most of us where introduced to Masasa when she got her role on Scandal! Known for her phenomenal portrayal of the conniving and ruthless Thembeka on Scandal!
Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about the talented actress……
1. Masasa was acknowledged by the South African Film and Television Awards (Saftas) and the Royalty Soapie Awards as the best actress in a soapie – making her the queen of soapies.
2. She received the Mandela Rhodes a scholarship to pursue her studies at Wits, Bachelor of Arts in Dramatic Arts majoring in Performance and Directing.
3. Mbangeni moved from Port Elizabeth to audition for a place at Wits University and in 2006 was enrolled for a dramatic arts degree.
4. Masasa Mbangeni was born and bred in Port Elizabeth and came to Johannesburg to study dramatic arts and pursue a professional acting career.
5. She is obsessed with South African novelist, poet and playwright, Zakes Mda. She would love to play a women written by Zakes Mda one day.
6. Masasa Mbangeni is an actress, theatre maker and director.
7. Amongst other challenges she’s encountered in her career is the pressure to stay relevant in an ever-changing industry, as well as over-coming self-doubt.
8. Masasa says she’s been blessed to have worked with incredible actors such as Sello Maake Ka Ncube, Nomhle Nkonyeni and Nthathi Moshesh — all whom inspired her decision to become an actress.
9. She took part in the Marie Claire naked campaign for 2015, in the aid of blow the whistle against sexual violence against women and children.
10. Although she loves acting, Masasa would also like to try her hand at producing and directing, and is already working on a few projects through her company Bokamo Productions.